Tuesday, January 18, 2011

quinoa salad

IMG_6286

If you haven't tried quinoa, NOW IS THE TIME! Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is a seed that was considered a sacred food and a staple in the diets of the Incas. These days it is referred to as a supergrain because it loaded with twice the protein of regular cereal grains, lots of fiber, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, fewer carbohydrates, and even a dose of healthy fats. One cup of quinoa has 24 grams of complete protein, which provides 48% of the daily recommended value- AMAZING!



IMG_6223

Quinoa comes comes in a variety of colors- white, red, black and for the most part it all has a mild flavor that will complement just about anything. While there are all kinds of recipes and ways to cook with it, I like incorporating it into a salad because the different ingredients and variations are endless!



IMG_6218
I started by adding 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of boiling water and boiled for about 15 minutes.



IMG_6233
Next, I prepped all my ingredients.

I picked some of my favorite vegetables but you could add quinoa to just about anything!
spinach, red pepper, green olives,
feta cheese, sweet potato, red onion,
quinoa, parsley, baby portabella mushrooms


IMG_6235
I diced up the red onion,


IMG_6238
the red pepper,


IMG_6244
and sautéed them in a little bit of olive oil, garlic and then added the mushrooms.


IMG_6250
I washed and cut up the spinach.


IMG_6257
Chopped up green olives.


IMG_5062
I added the cooked quinoa


IMG_6260
to the spinach, olives, the sautéed vegis.


IMG_6261
I added a baked sweet potato chopped into squares


IMG_6270
and sprinkled a handful of chopped parsley


IMG_6262
and feta cheese.


IMG_6272
I mixed everything together

IMG_6278


IMG_6283
and filled up a bowl for myself :)


IMG_6293
Serve as a side dish or even as a main dish- makes for a great lunch!


IMG_5066
I've even started using it as a filling for wraps.
Use a whole grain tortilla and fill with quinoa salad.


IMG_5068
Roll up.


IMG_6307
Cut in half and quickly consume!

33 comments:

Belle said...

Thanks for the info on quinoa. I've seen it in the store and wondered if I should try it. The salad looks delicious!

Kittyj said...

I love quinoa and that looks delicious!!! Thanks for sharing!

Yael said...

This salad looks so tasty, I surely will try it out! Thank you for the recipe!

Claire Kiefer said...

This looks amazing. I eat quinoa all the time (I'm a vegetarian and they say we especially should eat it cause of the protein!), but I've never tried it in a salad. I often use it in place of rice, and sometimes I make a broccoli quinoa casserole that is delish! But your salad looks great--I'm gonna have to try that one for sure!

M2BM said...

my mom is hooked on quinoa. whe will be excited to have a new recipe...and ill try it to...looks yummy for my tummy!

Janet Ghio said...

I love when you do recipes--the photos are just wonderful and it always sounds and looks so tasty!

tricia said...

oh, your photos are amazing! and that salad looks so yummy! i some quinoa in the pantry and think i will stop and pick up the other ingredients tomorrow. i have been a bit bored with my lunches lately and the wrap looked exactly like what i've been wanting.
thank you!

Caroline said...

This looks so very delicious! I usually use white quinoa in place of rice in recipes... but THIS! This recipe looks so tasty! and you presented it beautifully!

Denise said...

Thank you for this recipe, Alisa! I have recently added quinoa to my diet but needed some ideas. Your photos of all the food prep is fabulous. I know how much time that takes to stage BEFORE YOU PREPARE IT. I'm off to the kitchen.

Judy Shea said...

Looks, delish, healthy and beautiful.. thank you.

Anonymous said...

Grześ tu był i umysłową ucztę spożył za co dziękuje zapraszając na swoje strony.

Lisa Chin said...

This looks fabulous! I haven't tried quinoa. Does it cook quickly? What is the texture of quinoa like? Is it crunchy? Soft like eating rice or soft like eating the balls in tapioca? I'm very curious.

kelly barton art + design said...

the last two years in manzanita, we have hit up bread and ocean. they have a really good quinoa salad. this makes me miss oregon.

She Who Doodles said...

looks yummy. i've been cooking and using it the same as rice. but first had it in a vegetarian cafe that served it in quesadilla. i've not seen it as dark as you are using, i'll have to look for some.

Unknown said...

wow!It looks so yummy!Perfect colors and i will definitely try quinoa!

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

Ooo I have some white Quinoa in my cupboard. Never made a salad with it before. Looks yummy! Will have to try your recipe. Thanks!

Shirley Pando said...

I've been thinking about trying Quinoa and you've pushed me over the edge to do it!
Your salad looks yummy! TFS

laurie said...

yum! i am definitely making this but i doubt my process will be as beautiful as you do it! thanks for sharing such a healthy dish.

Terri said...

I've been reading about (kwin o a) it and wanted to try it, but at my store it was pretty expensive. Your salad sure is full of pretty colors. Lotsa vitamins there.
Terri

Unknown said...

I love quinoa! I've been doing a salad with it myself, but never thought about using it with sweet potato. Sounds so delicious. Gonna have to give it a try. :)

HollyM said...

I have quinoa in stock. That looks delicious!

Christie - Fine Lines said...

Yum! I use qiunoa a lot as an alternative for hot rice bowls, but have not used it in salads. I am definitely giving it a try!! Thanks.

Jeannie said...

Oh my delicious. I think they talk about Quinoa in the book Born to Run. I know I've read about it somewhere, and I'm pretty sure that's it!

MODERN Prairie Girl said...

Thanks for this! I just discovered quinoa...I have major digestive issues and I find this food is a good source of protein. I love having a new recipe! (nice pics, too...you food photographer, you :) )
ox
Lara

Ruth said...

This salad looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Ruth

C. Knack said...

this looks absolutely delicious! I will definitely have to try it.

creativejewishmom/sara said...

That is one creative and great looking salad-I'm sure it tastes great too! Thanks so much for sharing.

Margaret Applin said...

Alisa - I love your creative and healthy cooking recipes!!! Thanks for sharing!

Artifice said...

Alisa,

Your salad looks fantastic! I can't wait to prepare it and taste all the luscious foods in it! Thanks for sharing.

Linda

Margaret Applin said...

Alisa, I can't tell you how much I love this recipe!!! Even my husband like it and I've been taking a little for lunch all week!!! Fabulous!!!

Megan Elyse said...

THANK YOU. I am a new lover of quinoa, but I haven't really done anything with it except add pesto and pecorino cheese. Also, your serving bowl is beautiful. Where is it from?

Quinoa Nutrition Facts said...

I'm so excited to try out whole grain tortilla and fill it with quinoa salad. Thank you so much for sharing this yummy recipe. :) Oh by the way, your photos are all amazing! Keep up the good work! :)

www.cocinas.tv said...

The guy is definitely just, and there's no doubt.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails