Tuesday, January 11, 2011

nori burritos

IMG_4567
I am only an "occasional" meat eater and the rest of the time I love preparing tasty recipes that make use of simple pairings of vegis and different flavors. One of my recent favorites is nori burritos inspired by a recipe from The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone.


IMG_4584
I LOVE this book and while it is a vegan cookbook, there is so much really great information on nutrition, inspiration for cooking and ways to "flirt" with vegan meals. These nori burritos are super easy to change up, use your favorite ingredients and put your own unique twist on- which is exactly what I did.



IMG_4552
The key to this recipe are the nori wrappers. If you eat sushi you will recognize this edible seaweed wrapper- they are made from algae and feel like paper. They taste exactly as you would imagine- a nice light seaweed or grassy taste that is not all all over powering. If you haven't tried seaweed in some form at least once in your life then you haven't lived- it is quite delicious!


IMG_4533
I prepped all kinds of different fillings.

IMG_4536

IMG_4538
basil leaves and shredded cabbage,


IMG_4546
brown rice


IMG_4547
sprouts


IMG_4548
apples and carrots


IMG_4549
arugula


IMG_4542
cucumbers


IMG_4545
and I decided to also grill up some fish with a little bit of sweet soy sauce.
Once my fillings were prepped I started making the burritos with different combinations of the fillings.



IMG_4553
I laid out the nori



IMG_4555
and added rice,


IMG_4556
a big basil leaf,


IMG_4558
a handful of sprouts,


IMG_4560
some shredded carrots,


IMG_4561
and a couple of apples.


IMG_4562
Then I folded up the bottom,


IMG_4563
rolled from one end to the next


IMG_4564
and used a little water to dampen the edge to get the wrapper to stick to itself.


IMG_4565

IMG_4569
I used my different ingredients to create different combos- the variations and possible fillings are really endless- you could use ANYTHING!


IMG_4571
And there you have it a plate full of healthy nori burritos that I proceeded to eat...like all eight of them- YUM!


16 comments:

Jenn said...

Fantastic! I recently purchased this book as well and was amazed at how much I am enjoying it. Try the cuban styled sweet potatoes sometime...sooooo good. I'll definitely try the nori burritos soon. They look great!

gretchen said...

this looks like something even a meat eater would love!

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

OH! Delicious! I can't wait to try these!

martinealison said...

Cela semble délicieux.. accompagnés d'un bon verre de vin... yuck!
Bisous

laurie said...

i love how you displayed all the ingredients in those cute little bowls - a feast for the eyes!

ALIZEY MIRZA said...

omg i could eat your blog! its amazing!
please follow me back :)

Alizey

http://officialalizey.blogspot.com

whyducks said...

mmmm looks great

noell said...

As a vegan, this post makes me very happy. :)

I'm excited to try this one!

marilyn said...

Tried the tuna quesadilles from a few posts ago....very good. Family liked it to.

LR said...

seaweed is a must in my household. this looks amazing.

Gina said...

Your photos are as awesome as I'm sure these taste! Looks like I have another cookbook on my to-buy list.

amy said...

I will have to try to make these this weekend. I have been trying new foods and I am finding that if you slice things in fun shapes or really thin I enjoy them more! I don't have the patience to make sushi but I could totally roll things up in the seaweed. Can't wait to try. Thanks!

Zolletta said...

Curious, delicious idea!

Create. Snap. Eat. said...

Huh. What an awesome idea!

Linda Kittmer said...

What a great idea. I love nori and never thought to use it like this. Since I'm celiac it's also a great way to be able to enjoy a wrap! Thanks for the delicious inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Great photos on how to roll them! This is much better than eating salad when there are nori sheets around.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails