Saturday, January 15, 2011

a last minute golden globe party

IMG_0223
Do you ever feel like you want a good excuse to play dress up? To put on a big frilly dress, red lipstick and do something special? Well if I am going to be honest and this is embarrassing- I DO! I spend my days in yoga pants and t-shirts, I rarely wear makeup any more, shave my legs once a week and if I am going to be really honest I typically forget to put on deodorant.


IMG_0180 copy
The other day while browsing at the mall (for yet another pair of stretchy pants) I found myself in the prom section reminiscing about high school dances (funny because back in the day I never enjoyed them). I was wishing I had an excuse to try on dresses when it hit me... who needs an excuse?! I proceeded go wild and grab handfuls of fluffy, sparkly dresses and tried them all on! While practicing my best red carpet pose in the mirror, I remembered that the Golden Globes were this weekend- (tonight actually) and being an award show junkie I decided right there in the JC Penny dressing room (not very glamourous- I know!) to have a last minute Golden Globe party. A perfect excuse for a little dress up!

Here are a few ideas for your own last minute party!


IMG_0244
Number one reason to have an award show party is to dress up- even if its just a little bit! Don't go out and buy a dress but instead find something fun (or funny) in your closet to wear for the evening. Make sure to take silly photos!


IMG_0241
Not in the mood? Put a flower in your hair, sparkly earrings or some pretty shoes. I think I am going to wear my pajamas, an updo, a flower in my hair and red lipstick :)


IMG_0226
Nothing says glam like bright lipstick!


IMG_0188
Force your loved ones to dress up.


IMG_0201
And by force I mean nicely ask if they will wear homemade bow ties :)


IMG_0253
Have everyone make their winner picks early in the evening.


IMG_0230
Pull out the pretty glasses and plates!


IMG_0189
Since it's last minute don't make anything too time consuming. Instead turn your dinner into small appetizer size portions


IMG_0228
or stick a tooth pick in everything!


IMG_0252
Play movie trivia at the commercials


IMG_0259
and most important, kick back and have a little fun :)



35 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the aged look in the photographs!

Nina said...

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! This looks like my kind of fun!

Lori P said...

Love this and can SO relate. My home and work attire (thankfully) consist of sweats and pajama pants.

What a great post. Love the photos.

Jo Vandermey said...

Looks like way too much fun! You have a delightful sense of humour!

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

...and the winner is...you! This looks and sounds like such fun!

Unknown said...

I've often wanted to try on some glamorous dresses at the mall too! Maybe I will!
Love the idea!

Melly Testa said...

boy do I love you.

Unknown said...

Better save a seat for me on that couch...looks like too much fun for me to just pass up...might take a bit to get there, though.
PS. I do believe I have one-upped ya on the leg shaving... ::snicker::

Leslie said...

OMG! Great post, Alisa! Now I want to go try on prom dresses!

Darcy Marshall said...

oh you wonderful girl, fabby ideas, love the photos. you are so right, who needs an excuse. I have never tried on prom dresses, but i do love going into shops and trying on all the hats lol

martinealison said...

Quelle élégance... Bises

Shirley Pando said...

What fun!! Love your photos

playcrane said...

a terrific idea. what a way to love life

jackie said...

Love your creative idea for a home party!

Unknown said...

Tooo Much Fun! And here I thought I was the only one who could forget to put on deodorant....LOL
You Look Marvolous!!!Many Blessings, Deborah

Γυμνάσιο Τ.Λ. Γαυρίου said...

I love your photographs ! If I may ask ... how you process them in order to give thm this aged look ...

whyducks said...

You look stunning!

annamichelle said...

Omg, you just make me smile! And the cherry on top is your honesty! You are so much fun! Something we could all use more of!

susans said...

Oooo, what fun!

Becky said...

how do you do that with your images? I have Elements. is it possible to do with that?

Dianne said...

I love this idea! And the vintage effect of your photos...

Sherry said...

I have been to so many balls (my husband is in the Army) and didn't enjoy the shopping experience but I bet it would be great if it was just for fun. Super photo of the cat.

lilmissmarch said...

have fun at your party! isn't trying on prom dresses fun?!

JessiVille said...

I love that you played dress-up with all the frilly dresses for no real reason at all! Your photos were a treat as usual! I am watching the GG tonight and I will wear dark red lipstick for fun.

Kolleen said...

i love this so much!!!!!!

all of it!!!

ooxx
kolleen

Anonymous said...

well... I HAVE had those days where my hair is accidentally perfect, and I MUST go somewhere to take advantage of it!

Tracie said...

You look more beautiful than Natalie Portman did!

Maria said...

Love it, love it, love it. Plus your cat is adorable.

Rachel Parris said...

Great post. Made me smile on a dreary day.

Nelda said...

Such a fun post! That picture of your men "dressed up" cracks me up.

Crazy RAvens Studio said...

I have been searching everywhere for this photo effect. Can you share?

Sofia Britts said...

I love dressing up too, Alisa! It's the best way for anyone to feel like a celebrity. Me, I don't care if there's a party or not. When I feel like it, I dress up! Only in my bedroom of course. I even apply for a cash advance loan just to get my hands on the latest costumes and party dresses. Ha ha! Btw, that last minute party seemed like fun! You must be good to have pulled it off.

John Lair said...

Whenever I've felt sad, frustrated and tired, I wear my best suit and take myself portrait. Do some camera experiments and layback and say to myself - with these good looks I should never feel bad. You might think I'm bragging but that's how I recompose myself. Dressing up is like the blanket of my sorrows and ego - it is self meditation in a sleek way.

merchantjhon said...

Having a good outfit also increase your self confident, that's why I make sure I have a proper attire for any occasion.

mbi said...

Wow! This is such a great post - that I am just discovering now. What a fun idea. Especially love that you roped in the rest of the family. Might have to try this. Especially the taking photos for posterity part....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails