Thursday, January 27, 2011

homemade zeppole

IMG_6984

I have a weakness... doughnuts or any kind of dough that has been fried! One of my most FAVORITE guilty pleasures is making homemade zeppole. Zeppole is like the cousin of a doughnut and closely related to an elephant ear or even fry bread. It is an Italian treat often served as a street food, at festivals and different regions in Italy have different variations (or so I am told). Basically it lightly fried balls of dough covered in sugar. There are a number of ways to make them, fill them or dust them with all sugar and spice. My favorite zeppole recipe comes from Giada De Larauntiis. This recipe is quick and easy and OH SO DELICIOUS!!


IMG_6908 copy

The ingredients are super simple!

1/2 cup of sugar for dusting, plus 3 tablespoons
2 tablespoons of cinnamon
1 stick of butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup of water
1 cup flour
4 eggs
olive oil for frying



  • IMG_6914
    Start by melting the stick of butter in a sauce pan.


    IMG_6915
    Add 3 tablespoons of sugar.


    IMG_6919
    Add 1 cup of water.



    IMG_6928
    Bring to a boil and take the pan off the heat.
    Stir in 1 cup of flour.


    IMG_6932
    Return the pan to the heat and stir the mixture until it forms a ball.


    IMG_6934
    Transfer the dough to another bowl.


    IMG_6935
    I added 1 teaspoon of vanilla- cause I like it :)


    IMG_6936
    Add 4 eggs, one at a time.


    IMG_6941
    Use an electric mixer and incorporate each egg.



    IMG_5227
    Heat up the olive oil- enough to fill up about 2 inches of the pan.
    Heat to around 375 degrees.


    IMG_5233
    Using a spoon drop the dough into the oil- I like making them small (so I don't feel so guilty eating a lot of them!)


    IMG_5239
    Let the dough fry for about 3-5 minutes until they puff up and are golden brown.


    IMG_6942
    Drain excess oil on a paper towel.


    IMG_6955
    Combine 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of cinnamon in a bowl.


    IMG_6946
    Drop the zeppole into the mixture.


    IMG_6959
    and completely cover both sides.

    IMG_6947

    IMG_6979
    Zeppole are best served warm.


    IMG_6976
    And you can serve them in small paper bags filled with sugar


    IMG_6970
    or even create cute little paper cones!
    Regardless of how you serve them- they are SO YUMMY! Which is why I ate almost the entire batch.

    And now if you will excuse me, I am headed to the gym!

    21 comments:

    Unknown said...

    omg!i love them, as i do all types of sweets!i am going to be 100kg!!!:-D

    Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

    I just gained 10 pounds reading the recipe...but oh how I looooooooooove zeppolis!!! Yummm, this will HAVE to be made on Sunday! Thank you very much!

    Janet Ghio said...

    These look so good--I think I've seen Giada make them on her show. I will just live vicariously through your blog, because I have a huge sweet tooth and would not be able to stay away from them if I made them!! No will power!!

    Lisa Chin said...

    Those look sooo good! Excuse me, I need to go get a towel to wipe the drool off my keyboard.

    irene said...

    Oh My! These look delicious! When my kids were small we used refrigerated biscuits to make donuts- nothing like them warm and homemade. A question- do you have to use olive oil? Thanks for sharing.

    Anonymous said...

    you are so sweet showing such a yummy and sweet food for the cold winter

    Holly said...

    Yumm! There have been so many times I wished I could whip up something sweet "out of thin air". Since I have everything on hand thanks to the super simple ingredients, I think I will fry some up tonight! Thanks for sharing :)

    Allison said...

    I had to find my recipe cards to write this down. I can't wait to make a batch of these. There is italian in my family and I can't wait to show off what I just learned. Yumm!! Thank you for sharing

    Unknown said...

    oh man, those remind me of my mother's homemade donuts which my husband now also makes. to die for. delectable. delish. i too can eat many many. thanks for the eye candy! or eye zeppole i should say, hee hee.

    Tania said...

    yummy!!!

    Romy said...

    I am Italian, and you're right: they're sooooooo delicious!!!!
    Here in north of Italy their name is "CASTAGNOLE"... anyway... wathever the name is... they're to die for!!! ;-)

    Ricarda said...

    Oh, I have to try these and I don't think I can wait longer than tonight. Hmmm...

    Do you use self raising flour or plain flour?

    Zelde

    O said...

    Your photos are lovely and the recipe looked simple enough so I made some last night. Delicious!

    Veni vidi vici...zeppole! ;)

    Leigh said...

    Yum! We have something very similar here in Catalonia (northern Spain)- called 'brunyols'- we eat them around Easter time and they freeze well. We aniseed to them too. De-lish!

    Angie: said...

    ooh that looks amazing!!! I think if I made them I would also eat th ewwhole batch!!!

    Rachel M said...

    Oh they look so good! :)

    Erin Butson said...

    um, yum. not only is your food gorgeous, but your photos are always so beautiful. These look lucious.

    jackie said...

    It was torture to read this,but I did , until I almost licked my lips.

    Unknown said...

    Thank you for the recipe and oh those photos! I love elephant ears and donut holes but this looks mighty tasty!

    Unknown said...

    wow!!these zeppole are like italian ones!!!I'm happy you know this special dessert!!!
    greetings from Italy!!
    marisa

    Cheryl said...

    Made these today for my family and they loved them! Thanks for sharing.

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails