Tuesday, January 04, 2011

hickory smoked tuna quesadillas

IMG_5629
I know that I have shared a number of times how darn challenging it is for me to eat healthy while working at home all day. When I worked at a job I used to savor my lunch breaks- I even took my time and I always had something good to eat. But when I made the transition to working from home, somehow I stopped taking lunch breaks, I often forget to eat until I have the shakes and when I do eat, I am SO tempted to eat quick things (often while dashing through the kitchen) that do not count as a meal. I kid you not I could devour an entire jar of Claussen pickles for breakfast, a large bag of animal cookies for lunch... and snacks... don't even get me started on the temptation of snacking on anything and everything! The only way I can be healthy, keep up my energy and eat complete meals is by planning out my food for the week. A few months ago I came across this easy recipe for hickory smoked tuna quesadillas- I was thrilled to have another budget friendly and tasty meal to add to my weekly meal plan!


IMG_5590
Next to the cans of tuna you will find these little packets of Starkist seasoned tuna- now let me just say I am not a big tuna fan but these seasoned options are super yummy and don't have a very fishy taste. My favorite is the hickory smoked flavor- it actually tastes more like chicken and is low in calories (if you are counting).

On the back is a great recipe for quesadillas and is really easy to alter and prepare to your liking. Here is how I make mine-



IMG_5591
Just mix a little cream cheese with the packet of tuna (one packet typically makes me about three meals)


IMG_5594
I used about 1 1/2 heaping spoonfuls of cream cheese for the batch.


IMG_5597
I like to add chili pepper for a little heat and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Typically I add vegetables- like diced onions and red peppers but much to my dismay I completely forgot these two ingredients while grocery shopping.
You could really add just about anything- jalapenos, tomatoes, spinach, kale or any favorite vegis or keep it simple.


IMG_5598
I always use whole grain or multi grain tortillas- a healthier alternative to the white tortillas.


IMG_5599
Spread the tuna on one side


IMG_5604
and add your favorite kind of cheese to the top.


IMG_5605
Fold in half


IMG_5607
and cook in lightly greased pan. I use my favorite grill pan because I like how the grill marks look (I know- SILLY!) and my quesadillas seem to get a little crispier but a regular pan will work just as well.



IMG_5606
Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until the cheese has melted and the outside is crispy- the crispier- the better! For an even healthier option you could bake it in the oven.


IMG_5608
Let cool just a little.


IMG_5614
Cut into slices.


IMG_5617
I like to make a simple dip with a little light sour cream, hot chili sauce and a tiny bit of lime juice.


IMG_5619
Mix together and serve on the side.


IMG_5623
I always eat my quesadillas with a little side of greens or a salad.

This meal never fails to fill me up and gives me enough energy to get through hours of work and even exercise at the end of the day!

16 comments:

Ruth said...

These sound yummy!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Ruth

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Mmm..sounds yum-OOOH!

Blondi Blathers said...

Good idea, Alisa. I work at my home office too, and if I don't set myself regular meal- and snack-times, I pay for it later. But I do get bored with food, so I thank you heartily for this suggestion ... I have quite a few tins of tuna in my cupboard but never thought of making a quesadilla with them.

Createology said...

Thanks for sharing this yummy dish you prepare. I wouldn't have thought of cream cheese but I love it! I also just bought that exact hot sauce. Here's to a healthy 2011...

KittyJ said...

Oh no - now I'm really hungry! Looks fantastic! Off to make dinner!

laurie said...

your photos are so beautiful. it's obvious that you are an artist everywhere, even in the kitchen.

reyhandan said...

paylaşımlarınız çok güzel banada beklerim SELAMETLE...

L Melohn said...

Thanks for sharing, this looks good! I'll have to try it out. Laura

Anonymous said...

Looks good. I'm not sure why you think it would be even healthier made in the oven, though; it's not as though you were deep frying it in the grill pan. And if the light greasing is with oil, that is perfectly healthy as well.

custom fortune cookies said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. seems to be very tasty. Will definitely try it. Thanks

samsung tablet said...

Thanks Alisa, I am going to try it tommorrow. Excellent recipe

missyirene said...

i made this for me and my bf last night ... it was so quick and yummy! couldn't find hickory smoked tuna, substituted it with sweet & spicy. i don't usually make recipes more than once, but this will definitely be on repeat!

jabbott said...

looks yummy.

Nelda said...

I so relate to what you are saying about working and not eating properly. Thanks for the receipe. It sounds really great. got that tuna on the grocery list.

Stacie @ azoho.com said...

Thanks for the recipe- sounds delish! I would have never thought to use cream cheese but now I can't wait to try it.

Carla Trujillo said...

That is my favorite hot sauce!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails